Tuesday, July 24, 2012

One Scene, Two Color Schemes



I love to work with silhouettes!  The possibilities are endless with masking and embossing and building color.   For my project this week, I stamped the island image from Sheena's A Little Bit Scenic - Silhouette Highlands set on two pieces of A2 size Ultra Smooth Premium White Cardstock for Alcohol Markers.   I recommend Memento for this coloring technique.  I've tried different types of cardstock with this technique and I really dig the Ultra Smooth - the colors blend so nicely!

I scribbled Spectrum Noir Markers onto a non-stick surface, spritzed with alcohol, picked up color with sponge and spread onto cardstock. Use a light touch and spritz often to keep ink flowing nicely over cardstock.  NOTE: be sure to start off cardstock and pull color across. I spread in a horizontal stroke for water and sky. 



The next card, I colored with tropical colors.  This was inspired by a card Dawn B. made - which you will see on Friday! I stared with just the yellow marker because I knew I wanted to mask a circle for the sun.


After I placed the mask on, I scribbled more color to pallet, spritzed, and spread color.

I trimmed both scenes down and mounted on design layers. The blue scene is on top of Club Scrap design cardstock.  The black cardstock and  ribbon are from Stampin' Up!

Can you guess what technique was used to create the tropical scene design layer?  Have you ever tried the shaving cream technique?! :o)   When I first learned the technique, I went crazy on backgrounds. :o)  For those of you who may have never used it, it's very simple. 
  • spray foam shaving cream into a shallow pan. Squirt a few drops of dye ink re-inker - pick as many colors as you like. I usually picked three and one metallic
  • with a knife, gently make swirl patterns.  Be careful not to mix colors
  • lay a piece of card stock on top of the colors and gently press. Let set for a few seconds 
  • pull straight up and scrap off shaving cream into a spare bowl or plate
  • repeat with several  pieces of cardstock. You can add more drops of re-inker at any time
 You'll get a nice surprise background. :o)

In each scene, I drew in the little birds and used a glitter pen add a few highlights in the water.   The sentiment is from Sheena's A Little Bit Sketchy Stamp Set - Optimism set.


Please visit the Crafter's Companion Info Blog every day this week to more ideas on how to use Sheena's new images. So many ideas flowing!!

Take care and STAY POSITIVE!  
Trena