Sunday, January 29, 2012

Milestones & Moments



I wanted to create something special for my special friend, Marge, who is retiring from her day job. She will definitely be missed at work!! I'm lucky because I still get to "work" with her! :o) She and I are on the Crafter's Companion Information Blog Design Team together. She posts her lovely designs at the Crafter's Companion Information blog on Sundays. I chose this beautiful scene from Sheena Douglas's designs at Crafter's Companion.

Here's how I made this lovely little scene into a card that allows for lots of signatures.
  1. I started with a heat embossed image.
  2. I scribbled the markers onto plastic.
  3. I used a water brush to wet an area within an embossed section with clear water. I then used the water brush to pick up color and paint in that section. I will start with a light color. If the area is very small, I only use one color.
  4. For the areas that I wanted darker, I went back in after the section dried. I followed the same steps - clear water first, then add color. For very small areas, I only use one color.
  5. Cut six pieces of pink card stock into sizes of 10.5" by 5.25" and folded in half. I have to admit, I'm not one that measures exact. I do measure my base card so it will fit into the envelop. :o) I just trim all the other layers to fit the base card.
  6. Trimmed scene and design paper to fit front of card. Trimmed a second piece of design paper for the back of the card. Used a permanent black marker to edge the design papers and scene.
  7. Cut pieces of white card stock for the lovely notes that people would write for Marge. For a subtle design on each page, I used different colors inks and stamped an image, stamping off first.
  8. Adhered the image on the first page. Added a rub on sentiment. I thought the word "Imagine" was perfect retirement card!
  9. On the back of the card, I adhered the second piece of design paper and stamped the lovely sentiment.

Stamps: A Little Bit Sketchy Bundle
Paper
: 140lb hot press watercolor paper, pink & white card stock, Club Scrap design paper
Inks
: VersaFine onyx, black ink pad, blue, pink & green dye ink pads, Tombow Dual Brush Pens.
Accessories
: black embossing powder, water brush, crystal lacquer, glassy drop embellishments.
Take care and STAY POSITIVE!

5 comments:

Marge said...

This card was so stunning. Thank you Trena for making me such a beautiful retirement card. The inside white pages left plenty of room for people to sign it, at my retirement reception. And, although it does not show in the photo, each of the inside pages had a subltle watermarked stamped image. It was really a piece of art.

Patricia H (PH in VA) said...

This is gorgeous, Trena! You did a fabulous job coloring the image. I know Marge appreciated your card so much!

Dawn's Craft Place said...

Oh Trena this is so beautiful! It is pretty in the inside as the outside.
I still say your a "real" artist sweetie

Kathy said...

Trena,this is beautiful!! Great Idea.Wonderful paper and your coloring is awesome.

Trish said...

Wow! What an awesome card! Lucky Marge! And congratulations to Marge too. I have that stamp and haven't used it yet. This inspires me to get to it!