Saturday, June 23, 2012

Sailing with Watercolor


Today I'm sharing an easy watercolor technique.   I really dig Sheena's Destination sail boat image for a graduation card.   In my area, graduation open houses are still going on. :o)  It is so wonderful to see the young people I've watched grow up making the next step in their lives. Just the conversation is awesome! I think this card would work for high school, college - even post grad celebrations.

First, I inked up the image with a VersaFine ink pad, stamped onto 140lb cold press watercolor paper, sprinkled black embossing powder and heat set.



Next, it's time for coloring!  I used Tombow Dual Brush Pens, which are water based markers. I used them  in two ways - direct [color directly on the paper and then spread color with a water brush]and indirect [scribble color onto a non-stick surface, pick up color with water brush]. With both, I start a new color with a clean damp (not dripping) brush tip.   I colored the boat and sails direct. When I used my water brush, I started in the white, or lightest, area and spread into the dark.







I colored the water and land using the in-direct method for a more subtle effect.  When using in-direct method, I pick up color off the pallet and start where I want my darkest color to be (as with traditional water coloring).  I usually wet the area will clear water first, then add color.




After it all dried, I checked to see if I had any hard edges on my color. If I did, I added clear water around the edge to smooth out the color.

To see a similar result using Spectrum Noir Markers, you can see a card I did here.

Thanks for visiting!

Take care and STAY POSITIVE!  
Trena