Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Soft Poppies


 
When I get hooked on a technique, I just get caught up in it. :o)  Today I'm sharing another card I made with the Spectrum Noir  "watercolor" technique.  I started with inking up this lovely poppy image from Sheena's A Little Bit Sketchy Stamp Set - Poppies and Daisies with VersaMark, stamped it onto Ultra Smooth Premium White Cardstock for Alcohol Markers, sprinkled with clear emboss powder and heat set.  NOTE:  When coloring with Spectrum Noir Markers on a heat embossed image, I recommend using clear embossing powder.  Colored embossing powders do not work well with alcohol ink.

To choose my colors, I used the packaging that came with the stamp set and my filled out Spectrum Noir color chart.  To make my color chart, I printed the chart onto a piece of Ultra Smooth Premium White Cardstock for Alcohol Markers and then filled in the colors of my markers.  This serves two purposes (1) I know what colors I have, (2) it shows me the exact color I will get on this cardstock.


Next, I scribbled markers onto a non-stick surface (CR8, CR10, and DR7). I spritzed the colors with alcohol, and used a paintbrush to pick up color and spread onto the pedals. The embossed image will act as a resist.


I cleaned the brush in-between color families with clean alcohol and a paper towel.  For the steams, I used CG3 and JG2.


To "paint" the sky, I used a flat brush. I was covering more area and I wanted create a whimsical movement for the background.


Here are all the colors I used:


For the layer behind the soft poppies, I used metallic cardstock with one of the new Embossing Folders floral frenzy.

 

Thanks for visiting!
 
Take care and STAY POSITIVE!

Trena

3 comments:

Tammie said...

Trena what a beautiful card! LOVE that Poppies stamp set. I LOVE this technique of watercoloring with Spectrum Noir markers! Thank you for the tutorial and Thank you for the tip on embossing and using alcohol markers. (I thought it was just me, LOL). I look forward to trying this technique. :)

Trish said...

This is a beautiful card Trena! I have a question. If the embossed image acts as a resist, how did you get the stems green?

Kathy said...

WOW, Stunning!! Thank you for the tutorial, I will have to try that. Thank you. Excellent job!!