In thinking about what to create for this month's theme Something Sweet, I went back and forth about whether to create something with food or something that captures sweetness. In the end I went with food. :o) This cute little kitten from is from the Birthday Kitten set.
I used Spectrum Noir Markers for all my coloring - the more I use them, the more I'm digging them!! Refills are now available too! To figure out what color I wanted my kitten to be, I used two things, 1) a homemade color chart (shown below) and google. Once I found a photo of a kitten I liked on google, I used my color chart to guide me for the color combinations of my markers. I searched through my paper stash and found this complimentary party paper. Sometimes I will choose my paper first and then match my color markers. Most of the time I get caught up in coloring and then search for matching paper. :o) If I can't find matching paper, I'll make my own. There are so many cool techniques you can do with alcohol inks - I'll share a background technique in a future Monday post.
After coloring, I used the BG1 and BGR1 to outline the kitten & cupcake. I then used the Blender to trace closely around the image. It pushed out the inside grey and made a subtle little line. I liked it! I actually found that by accident. I colored outside the cupcake when I was touching up color after I made the grey boarder. I was using the blender to push the pink color back into cupcake when I discovered the grey line. Isn't that how it happens sometimes? You make a boo boo and find a new technique! Some people call it a "happy accident." :o)
I then cut out the kitten & cupcake image and all the letters. I wanted the sentiment to pop against the background so I cut out each letter. I really liked the two colors I used for my letters, CR10 and DR5, so I'll add that combo to my chart! I adhered all the pieces together. I did place the cupcake outside the border on purpose - artist license. :o) Sometimes, I like to have my images hang outside the border. Lastly, I added a bit of bling to her bow and the flame with Stickles Star Dust glitter glue. Here are the colors I used on this project:
stampin' sister Marge. We were excited about our new markers and wanted to try different combinations to see how they work together. As you can see, I have more room for new combinations I find!
There's a giveaway each Monday. Please visit to see what they are giving away!!
Take care and STAY POSITIVE!