Friday, January 25, 2013

Batik Technique with Spectrum Noir Ink Refills





I made two lovely backgrounds with this technique.  I first saw this technique demonstrated by Tim Holtz on the Carol Duval Show. Remember Carol?!  I miss her! I stamped swirl images randomly with a watermark ink pad onto glossy card stock, sprinkled with emboss powder and heat set.


I used one drop of each color (HB2, TB1, DG2) of refill inks onto felt, spritzed felt with alcohol, and tapped  it onto background. Repeated apping until I got a combination of colors I was happy with.


Next, I laid the glossy design on top of a piece of Ultra Smooth Premium White Cardstock for Alcohol Markers and used my craft iron to apply heat.  The heat transfers the color of the embossed image from the glossy to the mat card stock, creating a negative image. Really cool technique!


Background on glossy (left): Stamped butterfly image from the Sheena's A Little Bit Scenic - Flying Colors set directly onto glossy background with StazOn. Stamped same image a second time onto vellum.   I cut out the vellum image, pressed into a glue pad, added glitter. Added a couple drops of Stickles on the butterflies body.

Background on mat (right): Stamped small butterfly image from set three times onto vellum.  On the opposite side dropped a few of the same colors I used on background. After it dried, I used a liquid glue to adhere the vellum piece. I put small dots of adhesive on the areas of the images so it would not show through.



NOTE: Make sure you are working in a well ventilated area. The smell of alcohol can be strong at times.


Thanks for visiting!

Take care and STAY POSITIVE!